Good morning loyal readers,
Welcome back to you and happy Lebaran holiday for Indonesia’s colleagues.
How’s your business today? How’s the mid year target? Some of us have an experiences on didn’t meeting the target. There are several reasons can blow up from a team with the most reasons due to external factors, limitation of resources (budget, time, man power), and complex/hard target. Yes, especially with global economic changes for the past 2 years due to oil price, Fed interest, EU with Brexit, etc. Some companies that related with that issues have experiences a decrease of revenue. In Indonesia, it also happen, with additional concerns about high banking interest, slow down of property, complex regulations, etc. If we are looking to the government plan (hoping execute well), Indonesia would have a huge new infrastructures, lower interest rate, and speed up of local economic, in year 2018-2019. In my prediction, after the new president election (year 2019) with support with above reasons, property start to rise again and impact to another 20 supporting sectors (as same as property peak in year 2010-2012).
I am not continue with economic or national politics, but focus with how to link between team’s pressure with company’s goal and future prediction. Indeed, most team member would experiences a ton of pressure and impact to performance, not only to your team but also to another team and finally to company’s view. If it happen, need a visionary leadership to managing a change. In this situation, resistance to change mostly come to toxic person or a person with very high pressure. We can see a toxic person as come in late, long hours lunch break, just waiting for end of day, late for results, spread out rumors. Or person with a ton of stress, such as long hours work, have no time for break, panicked, very quite, etc. As a leader, we need to identify the team’s behavior and managing it before it explode. As a risk consultant, leadership risk is a higher level on managing team’s performance. Okay, lets discuss one by one.
- Identify our team behavior. We need to understand what our team react in less, normal, and peak pressure. If some one act wrongly, then need a changes to return in back to correct path. It similar with my experiences on creating a risk system based on cause-effect and decision’s critical path. Once you know the pattern, it would be easily if something happen in wrong path. E.g. member of team has going late and lack of break time while the other is going home on time and had a long break time, for the past 3 days. I am not saying that be going home on time is bad, reversely, it’s very good, if it happen to all team member.
- Do and Act. After you identify and create your own system to managing if any wrong path happen, then, start to do and act with training/coaching/mentoring. It’s wrong if you take their ownership even it on high pressure, but let them manage it with their own way. Our job as a leader is to create another leader by share with coaching. The recipe of this coaching in high pressure is not giving them a new task, increase the frequency of coaching and decrease the intensity. E.g. our team has agree to input weekly plan on system by Monday and present the progress to the rest of team by next Friday. You only have 4 out of 7 team member doing this on time, regularly. Your job as leader is remind them and get the input. E.g. maybe doing entries on Monday is not proper time and they give an input to change it into Friday or 1 week before next presentation. Or they have something that disturb the day, so lets coach them how to do it frequently – listen and understand the situation, from both perspectives.
- Helicopter view. In the coaching time, sometimes we meet with repeat situation who will impact the performance. Some of them still don’t understand the risk impact of not execute it well. Usually, we create a simple way with department balanced scorecard and strategy maps, to get a helicopter view of our work. Let involve them in bigger view that the wrong path will impact to another bigger risk. E.g. 4 weeks later, we want to present to Bod or BoC for quarterly meeting with only 50% of achievement. So, start discuss with your team that if the Board see this number, it would bad image to our team. Let them see a bigger view of cause-effect and how to mitigate the bigger risk. Start to change, boost the spirit, and reach the goal.
- Break it down. After we share the helicopter view and create a path to glory, then its time to execution. Never give a bigger task and pretend they are okay. Make a smaller goal and reward it on each stage. In my project related with managing change, beside creating a vision, need to managing the transition. To do so, break it down to smaller pieces. We can use WBS schedule, Gantt schedule, or network chart, as well as risk mapping, to show that the goals is not hard as look like in first time. Or, we can learn from peoples to hike and climb a mountain. When I hike to Rinjani mountain (one of the highest mountain in Indonesia), I saw the peak was very high and its impossible to hike in 12-24 hours. We also went with peoples who were at first time hike a mountain. So, we were divided into smaller goals with 7 smaller point to reach before go to mountain.
- Reward each stage. Don’t let rewarding at the end of reaching goals or projects. Do it more frequent each time accomplish smaller goals. The rewards could be like a positive feedback, a compliment, and recognition. Assure them that its a correct path to glory. Everything need a progress and experiences on. E.g. you want implement new system and create a plan. Of course for system implementation, it has a smaller activities. So make a point of progress to reward a small successful.
- Lead by example. As a leader, we are a mirror of team’s condition. If a leader looks panics, then the team would see something wrong in short time. If your body language show a confident, then the team would have a less pressure. E.g. a pilot of airplane indicate that something wrong on weather and machine. To show his expertise, he would inform a passengers that everything under control and they might go back to nearest airport for a short time. It would reduce a stress or panics that could lead them to another pressure.
A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.